Mobility of teeth is caused by disease or injury to the
gum and the bone which supports the teeth.
1. Infection: when there is accumulation of food debris
and bacteria on the tooth. There is inflammation of gingival.
Infection is the main cause of inflammation. Inflammation
from the gingiva spread to the fibrous tissue between the
teeth and bone and finally it hits the bone. Inflammation
and destruction of bone affects the foundation on which
the teeth stands causing tooth mobility.
2. Increased amount and uneven forces during chewing when
transmitted to the teeth, causes tooth mobility.
3. A tumor of the bone, which causes destruction to the
bony architecture, results in tooth mobility.
injury to the tooth structure can also cause looseness of
1. Patient complains of discomfort while chewing of food.
2. Pain may accompany the mobility of teeth
3. The tissues around a mobile tooth are invariable red,
swollen and damaged.
Certain amount of tooth movement is always present. This
movement is felt when the teeth are clenched.
Mild moderate movement of teeth is
usually diagnosed by manually pushing the tooth in
question on either side with the help of probing
instruments. Fingers are never a reliable source for the
diagnosis for such movements.